Parallax scrolling is when multiple layers of background and foreground images or objects scroll at different speeds to give the impression of animation and depth.
This is most commonly used with a background image on a website moving at a different speed as the rest of the page.
The parallax effect can also be used with foreground images scrolling at a different speed
- Grabs the visitors attention (although not as much as when only a few sites used the effect)
- Can make a website look innovative and modern
- Makes a site appear interactive without the use of plugins like flash.
- As with any design that uses large images, can slow load times
- Can be less SEO friendly
- May be seen as a fad as time passes
- Scrolling too much can irritate viewer
Examples of Parallax
This is part of our new series of articles which will build into a glossary of website terms.